Friday, October 21, 2011

R.I.P. Dennis Ritchie

"Like the code he has written, his death goes unnoticed too"

How pitifully true this is for a man who co-invented and designed C and UNIX that are pivotal in revolutionizing computing in a way beyond imagination.

Essentially, any application/server/tool, be it big or small on today's computer, or any handheld smart device we haughtily show off, owe to C and UNIX and eventually to Dennis Ritchie big time!

The data structures he built into C are an epitome to high-level, object-oriented languages such as C++ and Java.

Take a bow sir, for I am one of such millions of engineers who are still benefiting from the open source revolution UNIX has paved way to.


#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>
int main()
{
    printf("GoodBye World!");
    getch();
    return 0;
}

A factual obituary here

1 comment:

Vyankatesh said...

Dennis invented a language which gives a living to millions out there in the world, including me.

And C being one of the first (and maybe the only) programming languages I have learnt, it is very close to my heart.

R.I.P Dennis Ritchie.