Monday, March 9, 2009

The Woman in White

Lemme start with my all time fav.."THE WOMAN IN WHITE!"

Ppl who might have done deir intermediate in AP would be well aware of the Collin's "Moonstone"...It was after goin tru dat book tat i developed my intrst towards Wilkie Collins..Thanks 2 ma english teacher...He suggested me dis work of his...N luk wat it have become...my all time fav..! Woman in white is considered t 2 b da first genre suspense thriller...but I luk @ it in a diff way...n y not...perceptions vary, dont dey? :)...I fell in love with da tender love story dat makes da baseline of da book and Collin's sweet narration of da same...Havin read a few of sidney sheldon..I always wondered y lust dominated love in all his narrations...but dis buk quenced my thirst 4 a smooth n soft romatic love story... :)

Well..coming 2 da details...
A poor artist Walter hartwright arrives @ london 2 teach drawing 2 two young ladies and he falls is love with one of dem, Laura Farlie! On his way 2 London, he encounters a mysterious Woman all dressed in white, Anna Catherick whose history and present being is tightly entangled with the lives of Laura and Hartwright!
Laura and Walter fall in love but she was already engaged 2 b married to Percival Glyde, a baronet! The marriage turns out 2 b a disaster n Laura is brutally tortored by the result of which she loses her mental consiousness...N da book is all abt Marian(Laura's sister) and Walter investigating further and discovering amazing truths abt Percival, Laura and Anna!

More than da gripping suspense, the pain and agony of Walter in making his beloved Laura find herself, his love, Marian's dedication were wat I felt appealing! :)

Few Quotes
"I am a citizen of the world, and I have met, in my time, with so many different sorts of virtue, that I am puzzled, in my old age, to say which is the right sort and which is the wrong."

"Women can resist a man's love, a man's fame, a man's personal appearance, and a man's money, but they cannot resist a man's tongue when he knows how to talk to them."

"The best men are not consistent in good--why should the worst men be consistent in evil?"

"Words are gaints when they do us an injury and dwarfs when they do us a favor"

PS: I gifted dis book 2 my hubby on dis valentines day...he dint start reading it yet..but i keep on pushin him evryday 2 do.. :)..lazy fella....!

No comments: